We are bombarded by social media and magazines telling us what we need to do to be healthy, live longer, look younger. A lot of these miracle cures come in the form of a vitamin… and there are so many vitamins! How are you to know what is important and what is just propaganda. We, at Action Medicine, have compiled a list of some of the vitamins we consider important and the reason for their use. We tend to use the Pure Encapsulation brand with our patients, due to its high quality. However, keep in mind, not every person needs every vitamin and it is important to discuss your plans with your doctor before taking anything new.
- Liver/GI detox: Supplement that promotes liver and bowel detoxification. Includes one of the most potent antioxidants (broccoli sprout concentrate) Sulforaphane. Anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer.
- B-Complex: Important for cellular health and DNA synthesis. Important for normal red blood cell synthesis and psychological health.
- Probiotic: Helps promote healthy gut associated lymphoid tissue function, (GALT), which supports healthy immune balance within the gut. Should be taken daily to maintain healthy bowel flora and at higher doses if you are taking an antibiotic.
- One Multivitamin (Bio Multi-plus): Contains all the vitamins and minerals you need for a day. Most of our foods are grown in vitamin and mineral poor soil so we need a supplement to make sure we have the proper level of these to ensure proper cell function.
- Vitamin D3: Promotes normal calcium metabolism. It is also important in immune system function. It has been found to reduce the risk of several types of cancer and supports cardiovascular health. We suggest an average of 5,000 units a day.
- EPA/DHA (Fish oil, Omega-3 fatty Acids)- BioMega: Good quality fish oil from small fish (sardines, mackerels, anchovies) extracted from fresh fish using oxygen free environment to promote purity and freshness. Fish oil is important in brain health and proper gut function. It is also important for skin health, joint health, and cardiovascular health. Suggest minimum of 2,000 mg fish oil/day.
- Ashwagandha: Enhances memory and cognition. Supports Thyroid health. Supports healthy glucose and lipid metabolism.
- Vitamin C: Potent Antioxidant. Enhances white blood cell function to reduce risk of viral and bacterial infections. Suggest a minimum of 1,000mg/day.
- Men’s/Women’s pure pack: Convenient packs of 8 capsules for all of yor supplement needs in one pack per day.
- Curcumasorb: Anti-Inflammatory. Enhanced Absorption formula. Great for treatment and prevention of arthritis. Minimum of 2 capsules/day between meals.
Brooke Rieth, NP